In the weeks since our last news to you, the crisis in Nicaragua has worsened
More than 160 people have been murdered and hundreds more have been wounded.
Crucially homeless children have been rounded up by police on mass and imprisoned; accused of inciting violence where in reality, they are innocent victims caught in the cross fire on the streets with nowhere else to go. Children are released back onto the streets hours or even days later, some go on to be charged and are held in prisons with adults.
The situation at Casa Alianza Nicaragua is critical.
- The number of homeless children coming to Casa Alianza Nicaragua to seek refuge has increased sharply.
- The policy is that no child is turned away but this has put a huge strain on already limited funds and resources.
- Many more children are arriving at the doors each day, desperately seeking shelter from the violence.
- We urgently need your help to ensure we can provide safe refuge for as many children as possible during this period of violence and insecurity.
- Emergency medical care and treatment for injured children
- Counselling and therapy for traumatised children
- Basic essentials such as food, water and bedding for the increased number of children.
Casa Alianza Nicaragua are having to pay additional staff to help care for the extra children and to cover for those members of staff who live outside the city and cannot travel safely to work. Many of the staff are working 12 hour shifts to ensure the children are safe and cared for at all times.
Thank you so much